Monday, August 27, 2007

Searching for Home

I like maps and I always wished I might visit the old home place in South Carolina. I was prowling through online maps recently and found the following stuff. Heading northwest from Sumter to Camden, on Hwy. 521, there are towns named after the old families; I wonder whether those were sites of their plantations. Rembert, Ellerbee, Cantys Lane, and Deloach were small towns on the map.
According to the SC archives index, Samuel Reily had land on Bear Creek, which is aout 10 miles west of Camden. I once ran across the will of Matthew Neilson, St. Mark's Parish, Craven Co., SC. He died 12 January, 1771. The will mentioned "Baker's Pond formerly granted Robert Rily and transferred to... [Matthew Neilson]. Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate Baker's Pond online. Perhaps there are maps with greater detail, but I fear that may be just a local name.

No comments: